International Students

International students who have accepted their offer, paid their fees and have received an eCoe are now on their way to obtaining a student visa and beginning their journey to Melbourne.

Your next step is to:

Step 1: Organise your Student Visa and immigration requirements


Applying for a Student Visa

If you wish to study in Australia you must have a valid student visa. The Australian Government issues student visas for full time study on the understanding that you have sufficient funds for study and living expenses for the duration of your stay in Australia. There are regulations that must be met before a student visa can be issued and these vary from country to country. Information about how to apply for your student visa can be obtained from your Education Agent or the nearest Australian Diplomatic Mission in your country. Student visas can take from one to 12 weeks to be issued.

All student visa applications are assessed by the Australian Government according to:

  • country assessment level

  • visa subclass

  • English Language Proficiency

  • Finances

  • Medical

  • Letter of Offer from MIBT

  • Confirmation of Enrolment from MIBT (issued by MIBT admissions when the deposit is paid and the Student Acceptance and Payment Agreement is completed and returned to Admissions).

Note: Students from Assessment Level 3 and 4 countries must obtain a pre-visa assessment (PVA) prior to payment of fees.

Course Packaging

Students can package a maximum of four (4) Confirmation of Enrolments (CoEs) for each visa grant. Courses can only be packaged where one of the courses is a prerequisite to another course, or where one of the courses may only be taken after the completion of another of the courses. MIBT courses can be packaged with an ELICOS and Deakin University Bachelor degree. Eligible students can package their student visa for the duration of the courses offered.

Keeping and Understanding a Student Visa

All International students must comply with current visa conditions and regulations determined by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship Office (DIAC). For more detailed information on current visa conditions and regulations visit the DIAC website -

Deferring the Commencement of Your Course

Students who are unable to commence the course they have accepted should write to MIBT Admissions requesting a deferment of commencement of the course to the next semester.

Change of Course

International students may be eligible to change their course within MIBT. To apply for a "change of course" student must complete and submit the Change of Course application to MIBT Reception. Changing your course may have student visa implications and this must be discussed with a Student Adviser prior to submitting the form.

Leave of absence

An application for a leave of absence can only be approved on compassionate or compelling grounds when supported by substantial documentation. A leave of absence can only be granted for one semester. Students who are granted a leave of absence after the census date of the Semester will NOT be eligible for a refund of course fees.

A student who is granted leave of absence will be required to depart Australia within 28 days of the approval date of leave. Students can arrive back in Australia two weeks prior to the commencement of the next semester.

It is the responsibility of MIBT to notify the Department of Immigration and Citizenship Office (DIAC) when a student is granted a leave of absence.

Extending your student visa in Australia

Students may apply for a student visa extension in Australia, provided the student visa is not subject to a "no further stay" condition. Students are required to apply for a new student visa 28 days before the current student visa expires. Students are advised to seek assistance from MIBT.

Permission to Work

Students will automatically receive permission to work with their visa grant. This enables you to work up to 20 hours per week whilst classes are in session and unrestricted hours during the semester breaks.

Course Completion within expected duration

International students are required to complete their course within the expected duration as stated in your offer letter and the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). A student must enrol full time to complete the course within the expected duration.

Change of Education Provider

International students who wish to withdraw from their course at MIBT and transfer to another education provider can do so only after six months of study in their principal course. In all cases the Diploma is the principal course unless packaged with Deakin University.

Students are restricted from transferring to another provider/institution if they have not completed six calendar months of study in their principal course.

Students wanting to transfer to another provider prior to completing the first six months of the principal course must obtain a release letter from MIBT. For further information refer to the MIBT student transfer policy.

Course Gaps

Students may only have a maximum of six to eight weeks break between courses. Students who finish their pathway course earlier than this will need to leave Australia or enrol in alternative study in a CRICOS registered course during the interim.


You must maintain enough money to pay for tuition and living expenses for yourself, your spouse and your dependent children for the duration of your stay in Australia.

Early Course Completions

Students who complete their course early will be reported to DIAC for early course completion. In such cases you will be required to enrol in an alternative CRICOS registered course or leave Australia. The visa expiry date in the passport is no longer valid in these instances.

Under 18 Students

Under 18 students at the time of visa application must have approved welfare and accommodation arrangements in place and must maintain these arrangements until they turn 18.

The following care arrangements are appropriate:

  1. The student resides with a parent, custodian or eligible relative over the age of 21 approved by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship Office (DIAC). MIBT approval is not necessary.

  2. The parents nominate an MIBT recommended caregiver service to act as your carer. You must meet the costs of this service. MIBT will be required to approve the welfare arrangements in place.

  3. The parents appoint a family friend or relative who is over the age of 21 to act as your care giver. MIBT will be required to approve the welfare arrangements in place.

If your welfare arrangements are approved by MIBT you cannot travel to Australia until your welfare arrangements commence. The date your welfare arrangements commence is the welfare start date MIBT will nominate on the Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation/Welfare Arrangements (CAAW) letter.

  • If your welfare arrangements change after the student visa has been granted you must advice the Department of Immigration and Citizenship Office (DIAC).

  • If your parents approved your accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements, you must have your parent's written approval to change these arrangements.

  • If MIBT approved your accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements, you must request MIBT to change these arrangements.

Students with Families

If you have family members that will accompany you to Australia there are immigration requirements that must be met. For children between the ages of 5 and 18, you are required to make adequate schooling arrangements for them while they are in Australia. Students must note that Australian government and private schools charge fees. Further information about enrolling your child at a school can be obtained by contacting the Department of Education, telephone (+613) 9637 2202 or visit

If you have a spouse travelling with you and they wish to study, they may study up to 3 months. If they want to study beyond 3 months then it is a DIAC requirement that your spouse enrols in a CRICOS registered course and apply for a student visa of their own right.

Student Visa Conditions

Student visas are granted subject to a number of mandatory and discretionary conditions. International students are required to comply with these conditions while studying in Australia.

Academic Progress

Students must make satisfactory academic progress each semester. Failure to achieve this will lead to students being "at risk" of not course completing within the expected duration as stated in your offer letter and the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). MIBT is obliged to report students to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship Office (DIAC) for failing to meet satisfactory academic progress.


International students must attend at least 80% of all scheduled classes during the semester. If illness or personal problems prevent you from maintaining 80% attendance at classes during the semester you must seek advice from a Student Adviser as soon as possible.

Providing your Australian Address

Students must advise MIBT of your home address in Australia within seven (7) days of arriving in Australia. Also, if you change your address during your stay in Australia, you must advise MIBT within seven days.

No Further Stay Condition

Some student visas are issued with a "no further stay" condition. This condition means that you cannot apply to stay in Australia beyond the date specified on your student visa. Students will be required to contact DIAC for further advice.

Step 2: Arrange Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)


As an international student you are required, and any dependants, to take out Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your student visa in Australia.

OSHC helps pay for medical and hospital care should you become ill during your stay in Australia. OSHC will also pay for most prescription drugs and emergency ambulance transport. OSHC will not cover any illness or disability that you had prior to arriving in Australia. It will also not cover ancillary services (for example, dental or optical services). If you require ancillary services you can take out extra OSHC, provided by an approved OSHC provider. Make sure you bring any optical or medical prescriptions with you to Australia.

From 1 July 2010, The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) changed the student visa requirements. Under condition 8501, students will have to obtain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the proposed duration of their student visa. For students who will be undertaking a packaged course, there cannot be a gap in the OSHC coverage.

MIBT has appointed Allianz Global Assistance to provide this cover. For information about Allianz Global Assistance visit the following website: If you already have OSHC you must provide documentation to MIBT that your OSHC covers your visa duration.

Step 3: Organise your Accommodation


MIBT students who require accommodation have the opportunity of staying at an MIBT Residential Campus, on-campus accommodation, homestay, temporary, hostel or apartment style accommodation or private house/flat rental.

For further information about Accommodation options click here

Step 4: Book your flight and MIBT's free Airport Pickup service


Many students travel to and from Australia at the beginning and end of each semester, therefore flights can be heavily booked in advance. It is advisable to make a flight booking as soon as you have confirmed your enrolment at MIBT.

Plan to arrive in Melbourne at least 14 days prior to Orientation and Enrolment to give yourself time to settle in, find permanent accommodation, open bank accounts and familiarise yourself with your new environment. This adjustment will be a major change to your normal routine and leaving your arrival to the last minute can create unnecessary difficulties.

Free Airport Reception

To assist you with your arrival in Melbourne, MIBT provides an airport reception service. You will be met at the airport and transferred to your accommodation free of charge on your first arrival. Additional family members may use this service but will be required to pay.

How to arrange to be met at the airport

If you would like to be met at the airport and taken to your accommodation please register at:

Arriving in Melbourne via an International Flight

  • STEP 1: When you clear customs, go through the sliding door into the International Arrivals Hall

  • STEP 2: Turn right and make your way to the Group Tours desk

  • STEP 3: You will be met by a MIBT representative (look for the MIBT sign)

  • STEP 4: You will be taken to your accommodation

What to do if the Driver has not found you

If the Driver has not found you within 30 minutes (after clearing Customs, for international flights) first check at the Information Desk or telephone Togoto 0409 503 646.

For more information about Melbourne Airport visit:

Step 5: Find out more about living in Melbourne or Geelong



The weather in Victoria is temperate and mild with four distinct seasons. Students will need to have a range of clothing to cater for the seasonal climatic conditions. During winter you will need warm clothing.


The unit of currency is the Australian dollar ($ or AUD) (100 cents = $1.00). There are six coins: $2 and $1 are gold; and 50c, 20c, 10c and 5c are silver. There are five notes: $100, $50, $20 $10 and $5. Each note has a unique design and a different colour.

For currency conversion see:

Cost of Living

The cost of living depends on individual lifestyle. MIBT estimates that a single international student requires approximately $14,000-$18,000 per year to live in Melbourne. This estimate does not include airfares or additional costs for those who have a more expensive lifestyle.

The first few weeks in Australia may be expensive, due to an outlay of 'one-off' expenses. These may include temporary accommodation, rental bonds, books, clothing, furnishings, etc. Other major expenditure may include purchasing and maintaining a car, and obtaining a driver's licence.


Banks are open from Monday to Thursday 9.30am - 4.00pm, Friday 9.30am - 5.00pm. Some banks are open on Saturday mornings.

The main banks in Melbourne include ANZ, Bank of Melbourne/Westpac, Commonwealth and the National Australia Bank. Other financial institutions such as Building Societies, Credit Unions and Finance Companies can also be found. Automated Teller Machines (ATM) are widespread throughout Australia.

When opening a bank account you will be asked to provide your passport and other forms of identification eg. credit card, drivers licence, Student ID Card.

Tax File Number

If you obtain employment while in Australia it is recommended that you apply for a Tax File Number. You will be asked to provide your Tax File Number when you complete a taxation deduction form at the commencement of employment.

It is not compulsory to have or provide a Tax File Number, however if you do not have one, any income you earn will be taxed at a much higher rate. Students can obtain further information about work permits and Tax File Numbers from MIBT or visit:


Holding a valid student visa allows you to drive in Victoria (for an indefinite period) provided you have an overseas licence which is current and valid and it is in English or is accompanied by an English translation, or you have an international Driver's Permit.

To apply for a Victorian Driver's Licence you must be 18 years of age or older and have a current overseas licence. You will undergo an eyesight test, a road law knowledge test and a practical driving test. Once you arrive in Melbourne you can contact Vic Roads on 131 171 or for more information about obtaining a Victorian Driver's Licence or driving with an overseas licence.

Public Transport

Melbourne's public transport system operates tram, train and bus services throughout the metropolitan area and generally operates between 5.00am and 12 midnight Monday to Saturday, and 8.00am to 11.00pm on Sundays and public holidays.

The transport system offers a wide variety of fares which allow you to change from train to tram to bus with the same ticket. Tickets are available through electronic vending machines at train stations, on board trams and buses, and various shops.

Melbourne is divided into two zones for public transport. Each zone has a specific colour and covers a specific part of the metropolitan area. The choice of tickets are: a 2 hour ticket, daily ticket, weekly ticket, monthly ticket and short trip card. The ticket you need to purchase will depend on the amount of time you require and the distance you need to travel.

Note: International student travel concessions are not available in Melbourne.

For more information about Melbourne's public transport visit:


Being a student is an exciting time where you will make new friends and experience different learning opportunities. It is important to enjoy your city and your campus. Please take the time to read our safety flyer for tips on assisting to protect you from unsafe situations.

For more information on Melbourne, Geelong and Victoria visit: