When choosing your accommodation first check which campus you will be studying at.

On-Campus Accommodation


Melbourne Campus at Burwood

Burwood Residences Building

The new state-of-the art 400 room Burwood Residences Building has been completed at the Melbourne Burwood Campus. It is within walking distance of all the Campus facilities and is located opposite the MIBT building. Students can choose from a fully appointed studio room including en-suite and fully equipped kitchenette, or shared accommodation featuring five or six bedrooms leading onto a large shared lounge, kitchen and dining area.

Facilities include:

  • Computer lab on the second floor
  • study rooms on each floor (for private or group study and academic sessions)
  • small lounges for residents to meet and socialise.
  • a large resident common room (incorporating comfortable and flexible seating arrangements for relaxing/socialising)
  • Pool tables, table tennis and kitchen facility), as well as a theatre/gaming room
  • BBQ facilities
  • purpose-built laundry
  • personal storage

How to apply:

Demand for on-campus accommodation is high and application dates apply. For more information and how to apply go to:

International House

Located only a short 5 minute walk from MIBT Burwood Campus is International House. International House provides MIBT students with a safe, secure townhouse and apartment style living.

Facilities include:

  • 24 hour broadband wireless internet
  • Fully furnished, shared apartments including television with DVD player, shared bathrooms and kitchens
  • Individual bedrooms with individual locks, beds, work benches, personal fridges and wardrobes, as well as telephones and internet points
  • Recreational facilities; swimming pool, spa. gymnasium, TV lounge, table tennis, barbeque facilities
  • Resident caretakers living on site

How to apply:

Demand for this accommodation is high. Students should apply as early as possible and can apply directly on line at:

Geelong Campus at Waurn Ponds

Student Residences, Deakin University


On-campus residential accommodation at the Geelong Campus at Waurn Ponds is available for students at Barton College, Deakin College and Watson House.

Features of the student residences include:

  • single bedrooms
  • shared bathroom facilities
  • shared kitchen-dining area
  • fully furnished rooms
  • kitchen equipment and utensils supplied
  • laundry facilities provided

How to apply:

There is always more demand than there are places for on-campus accommodation so students should apply for it as early as possible.

Submit you application at

Key dates for MIBT applications and payment deadlines can be found at:



Homestay provides you with the opportunity to live with an Australian family and is popular with students arriving in Melbourne for the first time. Homestay is a good choice if you want to improve your English and want to experience Australian life and culture. Homestay may be families, couples or single people. All are selected to provide good quality facilities and meals if required.

How to apply:

MIBT has appointed Student Accommodation Services (SAS) as the preferred Homestay provider. Please visit their website below for more information and to apply:

Student Accommodation Services (SAS)

Rental and Sharing


Students may choose to rent an apartment or a house - either on their own or with friends. The majority of rental properties are not furnished and the cost of the rental does not include the payment of expenses (bills) such as gas and electricity.

If you rent a property you will be required to sign a contract (lease) which will make you responsible for that property and any damages that may occur. If you are sharing with friends then each of you should sign the contract and share equally in all expenses. Prior to moving into a rental property you will be asked to pay a bond, plus one months rent in advance. The bond is usually equivalent to one month of rent payment. When you leave the rental property the bond will be returned to you provided the property is in the same condition as it was when you moved in and there aren't any outstanding bills (eg. telephone, electricity, etc.).

It is important you understand fully what is expected of you as a tenant and what rights and responsibilities you have, as well as those of your landlord. The Rights and Responsibilities booklet at your real estate agent office will tell you what you need to know. Read it carefully.

For more information visit the following websites:

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Tenants Union of Victoria

How to find rental or share properties:

You can access the following websites to find vacant rental properties:

or access

Deakin University Student Life House Service

As an MIBT student you can access the Deakin University Student Life Housing Service. This service provides a number of accommodation options for students, including full board, share housing and vacant properties for private rental. You can have access to their service housing database of local properties where you will be able to see currently available properties and also current prices. For more information visit:

Hostel/Apartment Style


A range of hostels and apartment style accommodation are available for students to choose from. Most hostels/apartments offer single or shared fully furnished rooms.

Short Term Accommodation


Short Term accommodation is an option for students who are not sure what type of accommodation they require, or if their long term accommodation is not ready in time. This type of accommodation is generally a budget hotel or hostel nearby MIBT.

Accommodation for International Students Under 18 Years of Age


An International student who is under 18 years of age is a "minor" and must meet immigration requirements for accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements before a student visa will be granted.

International students under 18 years of age must either: reside in Australia with a parent, or a person who has custody of them, or a relative aged at least 21 nominated by either the parent or the person having custody of them, or provide evidence that they will be going into care arrangements - for their accommodation, support and general welfare - i.e. homestay approved by MIBT or the MIBT Residential Campus.

Only a parent of the student or a person who has custody of the student is allowed to nominate a carer for the applicant.

Detailed information is available from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship Office (DIAC) website:

MIBT has nominated Guardianship Services for International students who do not have accommodation arranged with a parent, or person who has custody of them.